Thursday, October 29, 2009

Recipe #3 - Initial Thoughts

So, the small batch should be on our To-Do List, now that the hops are in. Those hops would be Northern Brewer Hops, mentioned here.

I've been trolling through some recipes around and about. I'm curious what input the rest of the crew has, though. It might be nice to ramp up the sugar, and try to make this bad boy an Imperial style Pumpkin Porter. We might, however, need to learn a little bit about starter yeast, which is recommended for higher gravity beers, so that the little animals eat their weight in sugar.

Ryan also shot me a text this morning, asking if we should brew something special for Leah's wedding (Dec 5th). I wonder if smaller batches ferment faster? We'd have to get the batch into the carboy soon, if we were going to try to do that. If that's the case, should we get hers or Jon's input on what they might like?

Sampling the homebrew while we cook 70 pounds of pork butt in the cold mountain air might be the highlight of the year...

2 comments:

  1. I'm down for whatever. If we do a porter we should defintely prime it with brown sugar. I think we could handle a yeast starter. Doesn't sound that complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe in Ryan's book calls for BS/Molasses, and looks delicious. The only thing is, how to decide to ramp up the sugars, and keep the balance...I want to crank the specific gravity into the 1.080-1.090 range...that'd potentially net us about 8-9%, I think.

    ReplyDelete