Monday, October 26, 2009

Future Ideas #1 - Coffee Process

Already on tap is a Pumpkin Porter, which we may brew as a small batch as early as later this week...but Andrew has clued us into something post worthy that we need to capture here for future use...because everyone knows we will eventually want to throw some coffee in one of our brews.

http://gueuze.blogspot.com/2007/06/coffee-added-to-porter.html

This guy looks like he's on to something. Our (admittedly quick) research into coffee flavoring didn't turn up this cold press method. I'd like to do anything possible to extract roasted coffee flavors, without any harshness/bitterness. This could be the key to ensuring a 'balanced' brew, rather than something that pushes the envelope towards the bad cup of coffee spectrum. I'm totally adding this guy's blog to our blog roll...I'm curious to know how that beer turned out.

It would be very interesting to find out how Terrapin makes their Wake n Bake stout...research for another day, I guess.

- Ron

1 comment:

  1. Hi guys. I appreciate the interest in the coffee porter. I've made two batches of this recipe and both turned out really well in their coffee flavor. I was able to get a cold press coffee extract from my local roaster, but you can buy the device (for example: http://www.toddycafe.com). I got the idea after talking with Charlie Schnable (Otto's Brewery) about his Sumatra Stout. Several others have tried the cold extract rather than boiled coffee or grounds in secondary. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete