Friday, December 11, 2009

Recipe #8 - Ron's Scotch Ale

My 'baby' is going to be a Scotch Ale style.  Picked up the general idea from a recipe on homebrewtalk's forum...I need to outline it here, since I changed it a bit:

  • 9.00 lbs 2-row Pale
  • 1.00 lb Crystal 80
  • 2.00 oz Black Patent
  • 8.00 oz Munich Standard Malt
  • 2.50 oz  Chocolate Malt
  • 5.00 oz Aromatic Malt
  • 1.5 oz Fuggle Hop Pellets
  • Wyeast 1728 - Scottish Ale
  • 3/4 cup corn sugar in 2 cups water, boiled for 10 minutes 
The recipe does not specify a boil time, other than to go for a 'long time'.  You want a lot of melanoidin, which is something that the Munich Standard emits as it caramelizes.  I'm thinking a 90 minute boil, so we'll need to maximize our water in the boil.  I switched from EK Golding to Fuggle hops.  Probably will want to do 2 packets of yeast.

Emailed the order to Thomas Creek today, and hope to pick it up tomorrow afternoon, before they close.

3 comments:

  1. as long as it doesnt taste like moylans(aka sweatty scottish scrote) i'm down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the recipe does call for one of us to dunk our testes into the boil at 45 and 20 minutes. I figured that'd be Randy, since he brings the braun to the group. I don't want to singe my hairs.

    ReplyDelete