Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Recipe #6 - Rye Ale

I believe we brewed the Rye Ale, our 6th recipe, on the 21st of November (we need to bottle this guy, fellas). I'm a little fuzzy on the details, since we didn't get it on the blog in a timely manner. I'll try to duplicate to the best of my knowledge...The recipe was modified for a 3 gallon batch:

6.14lb Pale Malt
1.36lb Rye Malt
.34lb Cara Pils
.34lb Crystal Malt 40L
.75oz Sterling @ 60 min
.5oz Sterling @ 15 min
.25oz Willamette @ 0 min
American Ale II yeast

This brew session went very well. We mashed at approx 158 degrees, with about 2 gallons, as I recall. Sparged around 172 degrees, with another 2 gallons of water.

The boil was a 60 minute. For some reason, I think we were short of the actual hops, by a little bit. We had a 1 oz package, but needed 1.25 oz of Sterling.

After the boil, we cooled things down in an ice bath, and pitched at around 75 degrees. I believe our OSG was approx 1.055.

Fermentation was quick, and was heavy. Our small carboy could not handle the trub, and we had some spew through the airlock. After things calmed down, I pulled the airlock and cleaned it.

Overall, I think this was a very successful brewing, even if the details are a little lost. The beer has good flavor, in it's fermenting state, though might be a little lighter in body that we wanted. This should be bottled soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment